Saturday, March 30, 2013

Spelt Orange Breakfast Muffins

The music boosters sold citrus fruit again this year so we have more than we need. It's best used right now so I was contemplating how to fix something good for us and tasty while using the ingredients on hand.  Since I haven't been to the store for a few days I needed to concoct a recipe.  I have whole wheat but wanted to use whole spelt flour instead.  My husband was hurrying out the door for work so I didn't want to wait for fresh ground.  There was 1 1/4 cup Spelt flour in a pint jar left over from last week so that was the starting point for the recipe.



Everyone appreciated the light, fluffy, moist orange scented and flavored outcome...especially me.  I managed to just eat ONE.  I will have you know that is a victory.  There were a couple tablespoons  of left over cream cheese frosting and I spread that on four of the muffins.  Nice addition, but not necessary.

Spelt Orange Breakfast Muffins

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

            1  1/4 cup whole spelt flour
            1/4 teaspoon sea salt
            2  1/2 teaspoons Rumford baking powder (no aluminum in this brand)
           Zest of two oranges
 Mix and set aside.

Blend together:
            Juice of one orange, about 1/3 cup
            1/3 cup whipping cream (could have used sour cream but did not have enough)
            1 Tablespoon raw, local honey

Fold the two mixtures together just until blended.  Spoon into the crown tray and bake at 400 degrees for 13 minutes.






2 comments:

  1. Thinking of trying this here, have the spelt berries but waiting for my new grain grinder to appear. Know they are very good. Jerry should be happy when I am baking again although is doing well without wheat products...my constant questioning has produced an answer - joint pain is better. :) He has upgraded to Wilcoxson's Ice Cream. I was surprised because it is much more expensive than the store brand he always insisted on getting. How was your trip? I'm feeling out of the loop and don't really like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, This must mean you have ordered a grinder. I'll call soon and we can hear about that. I suggest you double or triple the batch so you don't have to do it so soon again. I keep these in the freezer for quick snacks. Why did he upgrade to Wilcoxson's Ice Cream? Does it have something to do with the joint pain?

      Our trip was wonderful and I will blog about it soon.

      Today we made a flower bed around the garden shed. I was as happy as a clam doing that. The weather is unbelievably nice. The children had varying degrees of cooperation. Pretty good overall, but lots of incentives needed to keep them at it.

      Delete