Saturday, September 27, 2014

Home made Pesto with Coconut Oil, The Best Yet

 Harvesting basil, pattypan squash, tomatos and leeks.

The basil in our garden is at the use it or lose it stage.  Even though it is a very busy day I decided to enlist the help of one of the children to pick the leaves off the stems.  Great help indeed.

Many of you who know me personally are aware of my recent understanding of the amazing benefits of coconut oil because of the book I read by Bruce Fife called, "Coconut Oil Miracle."  If you are trying to take good care of your health and wellness naturally, I recommend this book.

So I didn't use a recipe this time just went from memory of times I've made it before.  Taste tested and added more of this and that until I came up with a flavor I liked.  Also, I'm usually trying to cut down on garlic because otherwise the family won't eat it...just me and then they can't stand to be near me.

8 cups fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup pine nuts
4 large garlic cloves
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon sea salt

Combine ingredients in a food processor until creamy textured.  Freeze in Demarle Small Savarin tray, then bag in a zipper bag.

 Reflecting the blue sky from the window.  The Demarle savarin tray is black.

Makes 20 Small Savarin squares.

I can't remember when I've tasted a better batch of pesto but then I've never made it with coconut oil before so I suppose that is the secret ingredient that isn't so secret anymore.

Here it is after it is frozen:




2 comments:

  1. Would love to try the coconut oil pesto. What a good idea. I would try it if I wasn't the only pesto lover in our house. Purchased pesto isn't really worth it. I really like these serving sizes. Basil looks abundant and I like how you have arranged a colorful variety of produce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I'm pretty much the only pesto lover in the house too. I can get away with it on pizza and then only on the parent half, not the kid half. I fancy myself having girlfriend lunches and using this type of ingredient, but unfortunately that rarely happens.

    ReplyDelete