Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Sour Dough Pizza Crust

Y'all know by now that I'm enjoying sourdough in every way I can think of.

Over the past few days I made 4 batches of sourdough cinnamon rolls.  That might have started a new family tradition.  They were spectacular.

Now I have 2/3 cup of left over sourdough starter and company coming for dinner to celebrate my husband's birthday.

He suggested home made pizza.  I have been making pizza dough for years and years.  Probably over 30 years as I was given a home made pizza dough recipe by a relative for my wedding shower.

Here is that original recipe.  I used it as the basis for this new one today.

Homemade Pizza Dough
From Cheryl Ross

4 cups flour
1 Tablespoon yeast
1 1/3 cup warm water
2 Tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon salt

Knead 10 minutes.  Cover with a damp cloth and let rise 2 hours.

Makes enough for 2 twelve inch pizzas.

Sprinkle pan with corn meal prior to placing dough on baking pan.

Bake 400 degrees for approx. 15 minutes.

Put pizza toppings on and bake for a few more minutes to melt cheese.

Sourdough Pizza Crust

4 cups all purpose white flour, I use Wheat Montana brand
2/3 cup proofed sourdough
1 teaspoon yeast
2 teaspoons vital wheat gluten
1 3/4 cup water about 125 degrees.
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon Italian Herbs

Knead in Bosch mixer for 8 minutes.

Let sit for a couple hours.

Roll out on clay baking stone.

Since my baking stone is well seasoned I don't use cornmeal to keep the dough from sticking.

This dough was quite soft and sticky so I rolled it out with my unique dough roller from Pampered Chef.  You can see it in one of the pictures.

Then I let it raise in a warmish oven for 1 3/4 hours.

Take pizza stone with dough on it out of the oven and preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Using a fork, poke the pizza dough in several places so it does not puff up too much.

The first time I did this, it made a pocket bread because it puffed up so much.  Guess that would be a fun idea for a future batch.

Put in preheated oven and bake for 17 minutes.

Remove from oven, add toppings.  I used Ragu Pizza sauce, grated cheddar, grated Mozzarella, precooked sausage and pepperoni.

Return to oven and bake for 7 to 10 minutes.

Serve warm.



2 comments:

  1. Would you normally use Ragu pizza sauce if I hadn't given it to you? I buy that because it's what I remember from childhood, but maybe you have a new go-to pizza sauce these days.

    LW in SE WA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I still use Ragu. I keep thinking I would like to make my own pizza sauce, but I have never gotten around to it.

    ReplyDelete