Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Breakfast Muffins with Changes

The other blog is also updated, so don't forget to check it out.

Yesterday I got a morning call from daughter #1.  She wondered what was up with us and I soon discovered she was lonely.  Soon after that she was on her way to visit for the day.  What a nice day we had.  At the end of the day, I commented to her, "This is why I did not want you to move too far away from me."  We LOVE getting together SO MUCH!



Her main project for the day was to make 72 Breakfast Muffins.  If you refer back to one of the early posts you will find she did a guest posting on this recipe.  She makes these about once a month so her husband can get off to work in the morning with a healthy breakfast.  Not many people would put the effort into making these fresh each morning or at all for that matter.  For sure I would not be making them fresh each day.  But to make a large batch and freeze them is great.  I've been the recipient twice of needing a quick breakfast and enjoying this particular offering courtesy of my organized daughter.

As she has made this recipe several times there are some changes.  This time the change was using 2 ovens.  It cut the process down significantly so I hope you are putting a double oven on your list of things to add to your next kitchen remodel.  Since I lived many years without this wonderful feature and now have it, I'll say I MUCH prefer having a double oven in my kitchen.

Another change is to use fresh potatoes instead of frozen hash browns.  We think they must be healthier, but there is a little more work involved.

The ingredients are assembled.  Yes, that's 5 dozen eggs and 6 packages of cheese and precooked sausages.






















Grating raw potatoes.

Putting raw grated potatoes in Demarle cupcake tray.

While those bake at 400 degrees for 13 minutes, she is breaking dozens of eggs into the mixing bowl.
 Can you tell I like close up shots?  These were later ground up and put on the tomato plants.

Mixing eggs.

Now that the eggs are mixed together, she adds several bags of grated Mexican cheese.

Adding seasonings.


Placing the cooked sausage on top of the baked grated potatoes.

Same thing, closer view. 


Now spoon the egg, cheese, spice mixture over top of the hashbrowns and sausage.

And bake using both ovens for 13 minutes or so.

While those were baking she started on a second batch.  She does not grate all the potatoes at once for 72 breakfast muffins because they turn brown quickly.

Oh, I just looked for a photo to post of the finished product but forgot to take one.  Well we sample tasted and they sure tasted great.

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups frozen shredded hash browns, thawed
  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 12 links breakfast sausage, or equivalent amount of ground sausage or cooked crumbled bacon
  • 6 eggs
  • cups Shredded 4-Cheese Mexican blend cheese
  • Garlic Powder to taste, optional
  • Dill Weed to taste, optional
  • Crushed Red Pepper Flakes to taste, optional
Directions:
  • In a bowl, combine the hash browns, butter, salt and pepper.
  • Fill Demarle muffin cup molds ½ full, tamp down.
  • Bake at 400°F for 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
  • Meanwhile, cut sausage into ½-inch pieces, and cook according to package directions.
  • Divide sausage among muffin cups.
  • Beat eggs and spices, stir in cheese. Spoon over sausage.
  • Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until set.
*If I am doing the 6 batches, I will cook the sausage the day before. That part takes about an hour.

2 comments:

  1. So inspired! What shall we do when you are here? This, or photography classes? Yoga classes? What shall it be? And please quit bragging about the double oven...not happening here. Although I suppose my Cuisinart toaster oven sort of qualifies and has bailed me out occasionally. These pictures are fantastic! Which reminds me...which lens did you recommend? I'm thinking I should get it for the trip to Greece. And the eggshells I saved for the last couple of weeks just went into the blender and then on the tomato plants just in time for a nice shower thanks to Mr B. reminding me that Eileen said they should. Thunder now in the distance while the yard work is getting done for me. ♥ Call me soon! Need to know when you will be here for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was sort of bragging wasnt it. Spent several years with an oven that barely worked. Very happy with the update.

      The lens is a 50 mm 1.8. If you feel like you can spare the cash get the 1.4. Love what it does in low light.

      Right now I am worn out from a very busy weekend so can't think of what to do. One thing is to visit the grieving. Maybe cook something yummy and delicious. Sewing might be fun or working on a dream board. Have some new paint to show you. It is chalk paint from Annie Sloan. Supposedly paints over about any surface.

      Delete