Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Chocolate Champagne Mousse, not too sweet



It feels a lot like summer now and we still want chocolate.  The appeal of gourmet hot chocolate drink is on hold  until fall so I made this today as a stand in.  Talk about rich and delicious.  Also it was easy since strawberries are in season.  I wanted to make something with ingredients I had on hand.  While I don't usually have champagne, a friend gifted us a bottle when she moved.  This seemed like a good way to use it.  I still had some left over and used it in a cake for my daughter's upcoming birthday.  The cakes are in the freezer for next week's celebration. 

Notice the demitasse spoons.  I got them at a thrift store.  They are such a good size for these occasional gourmet desserts.

Recipe for mousse:

20 ounces heavy whipping cream
12 ounces dark chocolate, Lindt 85% Cacoa
½ cup champagne
6 tablespoon organic light brown sugar
¼ teaspoon sea salt
Combine ingredients over low heat and stir occasionally until chocolate melts and blends.


Ladle into demitasse cups , cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.  Serve with fresh strawberries and pineapple mint.



11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. And guess what? In two hours I'll see you and have some for you. Yummo is right!

      Delete
    2. Just didn't feel like fighting my allergies as we dealt with the sale. Way too much cream in this for me to risk it. I'm sorry. And I was really craving chocolate this weekend too - no one was selling anything with chocolate :)

      Love LW in SE WA

      Delete
  2. Any chance of substituting coconut milk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say yes to the coconut milk. It will then be a chocolate drink instead of mousse. Let me know if you try it out and I'll let you know if I try it. I'm interested in the outcome. Thank you for the idea.

      Delete
  3. I made myself a coconut milk and huckleberry smoothie today. Added a couple of drops of Stevia to sweeten it. Not bad at all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yumm! Did you take a photo? We could add that to the blog.

      Delete
  4. Oh, I make it often...I have had four of them now. I know it is almost huckleberry time again and I have quite a supply in the freezer. It is a way to enjoy them guilt free. I don't suppose Dad would approve...no cream and sugar or ice cream! No pie or jam! Eek. What is this world coming to?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well I can tell you've recently spent time with him so you are thinking about what he would think about the food you eat. He IS quite verbal about how he thinks we should eat. He is often right. But I also attempt to be thoughtful about sugar intake. Love those huckleberries. My favorite time to eat them is right there in the patch before they go in a bucket.

    ReplyDelete