Wednesday, September 4, 2013

30th Anniversary...Lunch at Brasserie Four: Cuisine Francaise



This blog is more about the wedding than food this time.  Scroll to near the end for the food part.

It was good to go through the wedding album and pick a few photos in honor of our wedding day 30 years ago.  Weren't we just the skinnies?

I was 97 lbs in these photos.  THAT was short lived!

I was really into vintage anything.  Not much has changed has it?

The dress was quite the story.  Everyone has their own idea of what the most important detail of the wedding is.  For me it was the vintage dress.  I was prepared to make a dress I could wear again and when I showed a drawing of the vintage style calf length dress...
... I had in mind to my husband to be, he said no. "Have a full length dress with a train like Princess Diana (she got married the year before). There is no need to wear the dress again."  WHAT!!!???  I thought I knew this conservative man after 6 years of courting. But that took me by surprise.  This was a departure from both of our family's tradition of being practical and appearing humble.

So with the assurance it was what he wanted, I went all out, choosing the most difficult antique pattern I could find from a company that has long since gone out of business called "Past Patterns."  This is the 1905 Muslin Gown.


The vintage patterns were so outdated it was difficult to find things I needed to make it and had to improvise. This pattern called for boning which I'd never hear of before. Thankfully I had been sewing for many years by this time and when I ran up against difficulties I had aunts, a sister and a mother and a talented neighbor who stepped in with help and suggestions.   One of the things that was improvised was that I really wanted this watermarked appearance in the fabic.  I was in love with watermark at that time of my life as were many people in the early eighties.  However, the pattern was for a muslin gown and the fabric I found and bought without knowing better was drapey polyester. (I learned a lot on this project).  The fabric and the pattern so did not go together.  When I was a few weeks from the wedding and ready to give up, my aunt Gwynne suggested taking it to a dry cleaners for pressing.  You see the tiny pin tucks over the hips sewn on the bias polyester fabric were a nightmare that was not going away.  Well that worked and then I was off and running again.  The next hurdle was how the dress hung straight down and the train didn't stand out like it was supposed to.  I was sent to a wedding shop by my parent's neighbor, Debbie, to buy a slip with a hoop.  Voila!  That worked too.  With encouragement and support from the right sources I was able to wear the dress.  However, not as finished as my highschool Home Ec teacher taught me...the hem is still unfinished to this day.  It's sewn up and all, just has a raw edge under there and it's got pine needles and stuff stuck in it from that day so long ago.

And here we are saying our vows in front of our relatives.

Then....and now:


My husband was going to be away for work on our actual anniversary day so we decided to celebrate on the one weekend in August that was available.  It was such a last minute decision that I just loaded up the kids and drove an hour down the road to meet up with my husband, just returning from a week of work 3 hours away and drop off the younger children to spend the weekend with their sister.

We had dinner at PF Changs which was good.  We had never been there before.  Since my husband was gone recently he wasn't in much of a mood to go anywhere so we just headed back home and relaxed all weekend.  It was hard not to tend to things that needed to be done but for the most part we managed.  We went out for one lunch and it was excellent.  I spent some time in the kitchen because we were home.  That's where I usually am you know.  It's why I'm not so skinny anymore.  The skinny began to change about one week into being married and I've struggled ever since.

Brasserie Four is owned by the daughter of the lady I signed up to sell Demarle under.  So this owner being related to her mother and also owning a French restaurant certainly does use Demarle for some of her presentations.


The menu is amazing and so is the food.


We ordered the last item on the menu:  Pizze La Paysanne and here is a photo:


We split that and also ordered a Ceasar Salad.  Love how they stack it.  Great presentation and of course delightfully tasty.

Tick Tock goes the clock.  Fast forward a week and now my husband is gone away for the week to work.  It's the day of our anniversary and my daughter is visiting for the day.  After running errands we come home and this was sitting on the front porch.  Love!


Back in those days we actually printed photos so I put one of our wedding photos out for the week.

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Your wedding hat, dress and flowers blew me away, and still does when I think of it! What talent. I can't compete, Amazing Sister, only be impressed and inspired by your efforts and willingness to tackle hard projects! Slipped right by me that it's been 30 years. Congratulations! The pizza, salad, flowers, and you - all stunning and special, like everything you do. That is why I follow you so devotedly on Pinterest.

    You both have improved with age. Dave looks so natural with glasses now! Did you arrange the flowers? Gorgeous! Love the orange-y lilies, yellow sunflowers, and roses with the sprig of hot pink and textured greens. Perfect! Reminds me again that I NEED to print some photos, too! Thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well what a nice supporter! Thank you. We are about even in that you possess physical strength and abilities that I haven't a hope of reaching and can only sit back and be in awe and admiration and a little scared. Also you have a creative streak that I've admired as long as I can remember and encouraged me that long too.

    As for what I pin on pinterest...I can't take credit for what I have not done myself. It's just that I like it. I have a current project I'm gearing up for and will study the ideas and put my own spin on it based on items I already own.

    The drawback of being a florist is that it is rare for someone to send flowers. This is the second time in 30 years. Then there is the problem that they don't meet my expectations for the amount of money spent. I would not get away with sending someone a bouquet with bruised disfigured flowers. They actually arrived that way this time and I debated about calling and complaining. Then decided against it because it would be negative energy on something that was given in love. I turned the bouquet for the photo so it wasn't so noticeable. I especially liked the color combination and I am quite sure my husband said something like bright, cheery vibrant multi-colored when he placed the order. I enjoyed it all week and it was a good reminder of his love and care when he was gone so long.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh this was wonderful to relive. Since I was so young at the time, I did not appreciate all of the details that I now admire. The things that I remember especially from your wedding was your dress, my dress and shoes, and the orange tiger lillies. Beautiful! You are both creative. I love that we have that in our family. I missed your 30th anniversary too! Sorry! Happy Belated!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Three for three. I remembered that it was your anniversary. But didn't realized that it was the 30th one! The flowers are beautiful and I am glad you went with the positive energy and enjoyed them as they are. I always think of your dress when I think of a dress that took lots of work. It turned out beautifully and you were a gorgeous bride. I loved my dress too. I still have it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously? You still have the bridesmaid's dress? Wow! It is one of those timeless dresses that never went out of style. That is so neat. I would like to try it on.

      Delete
  5. I didn't know there were so many contributors to complete your dress! You have some impressive stick-to-it-iveness. I was aghast at the messy tucks...after seeing that the dry cleaners resolved the problem, I was amazed, because it was a rescue I didn't think was possible. The main point was that YOU didn't give up on your dream at any point, because I would have thought there was no hope of a resolution. The work you had gone to was impressive - that you continued to work on it through that complication taught me something about you that I hadn't fully realized while working in the fields, but should have, as you kept up with a gal three years your senior in age and generally more athletic. Yes, you were a gorgeous bride, Janis was a stunning bridesmaid, the tiger lilies...well, as far as I am concerned it was the wedding of the century...then Janis and Steve went and had another...and then Eileen and Eric had another...as Mom said, it would almost seem that each wedding outdid the last for beauty, effort and creativity, so it was no surprise that Heidi and Brock's was over the top! I felt honored to attend each one of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me make it clear that you were a big part of my not giving up on the dress. Also I want to say how much I enjoyed your wedding too. It was wonderful and beautiful and so you. Do you still have your dress? It was amazing and you set the bar high when you made your own dress. Loved your flowers...real ones! I would have had real if I could have gotten them fresh at a reasonable price. We were all having weddings on a tight budget and elected not to serve food to the guests. We did what we could but it was just going to be too big an effort and expense to do food for so many. Attending a wedding is an honor all right. I'd like to not forget that. I have attended many as a vendor, but not so many as a guest.

      Delete
  6. I'm having such a good time reading your blog and learning about you. I'm in awe, and feeling blessed that I get to have you in my life. Speaking of, we are hoping to come during the month of June. Can we carve out some time to do lunch or tea or something? I would really love that but know you're very busy. Obviously it's still far away=) Love love love seeing your wedding, and reading your recollections and efforts to make this year special too. It all just makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anna, this is a mutual feeling. I too am blessed to have you in my life and I look forward to your June trip. My most favorite thing to do would be to have you over for a day of cooking, crafting and visiting, but I know you will be spread thin so will offer to meet you whereever you are.

      Our wedding was happy and we do have many happy memories. It is hard to believe how fast that 30 years flew by.

      Delete