Sunday, October 5, 2014

Chicken Soup with Coconut Milk, Gluten Free



Saute in 1/4 cup Coconut Oil


3 cups carrots chopped small
2 cups celery chopped small
1/2 of a large Walla Walla Sweet Onion, finely chopped
2 large garlic cloves, pressed

Meanwhile in a separate sauce pan, whisk to make a thickened sauce with
4 cups cold water
4 Tablespoons Potato Starch or Arrowroot Starch
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1 Tablespoon Better Than Bullion, Chicken Flavor
1 can coconut milk

Combine cooked veggies, thickened sauce and
1/2 of a small chicken baked or fried, cut up in small pieces.

Season with sea salt to taste.

Good for what ails ya!  Took this to friends who were sick with the flu and they could actually eat it.  I was not sure how it would go.

Note:  Made this again 11-20-14 for our housemate who is sick with a cold.  Added 2 Tablespoons Braggs Nutritional Yeast for Vitamin B.   Also I made up a batch of French Blue Lentils  with sea salt for some healthy high fiber.  Because the young ones amongst us won't want the lentils, I pulled 3 cups of soup out of the pan and added it to the lentil pan with about 1/4 cup of lentils.  The ladies will want the lentils and the others won't.

Made this again 2-21-16 for a friend who has a cold.  This time I added 4 small shallots and 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast.  No lentils.

2 comments:

  1. Thought I left a comment before. Good reminders to get the coconut oil into our diet. I made this for lunch today and it was a hit. We had it for supper to. Leilani was here, and we added red and green curry paste, so it really had a strong Thai influence. Very good, lots of veggies. I didn't have Walla Walla Sweet Onions, though! Too bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this comment. I love your idea to add the curry paste. I would love that. Unfortunately, I would have to just add it to my portion as everyone else in the house would not go for it.

    ReplyDelete