Saturday, January 17, 2015

Don't Order Maine Lobster To Go

While waiting for my flight in Boston this week, I thought it wise to figure out a lunch plan.  During the flight a week earlier I discovered the meals on the plane are no longer included in the fare.  Can anyone tell it's been awhile since I was on a long flight?  Like 7 years?

Once I found my departure gate I saw a Legal Seafood Restaurant offering fresh lobster.  It was at full capacity even though the airport wasn't very busy right then so that was a good sign.  This was not a fast food place so I had the option of waiting and maybe not having enough time or ordering to go.

I digress...

 Old City Hall, Boston.  I took this photograph in October 2007.

Seven years ago when we were in Boston I ordered fresh lobster at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse (located in the Old City Hall).  It was a startling experience for me.  When it came it was intact on a large serving platter.  The kind you would serve a large family meal on.  My husband and I still laugh about that experience sometimes.  Of course I could not eat it all.  I think it cost between $75 and $100 just for that one item.   Probably the chuckles we have gotten from the experience almost make it worth it.  I think my husband, the server and the nearby patrons enjoyed my look of shock when it showed up at our table.  Also I burst out with an exclamation that made heads turn.  Whoops!  The hick from the sticks came out.

 Since I didn't take a photo of the dining room I am including this one from pbase.com


Oh how I wish I had taken a photo of the plated lobster when it arrived.  I've looked around the Internet for a photo that resembles what it looked like and this photo from Prevention.com (recipes) is the closest I found.
Certainly, I recall it overflowed the platter and it was served with butter and lemon.  No side dishes.  AND I could not eat it all.  It was very good.  That was the first time I had lobster.  Unfortunately I didn't ask the price and when the bill came...well I think I must have blocked it out because I remember it being a lot.

So now it is seven years later and I'm back in Boston (airport only this time) and I remember a thought I had before I left on this trip..."I should watch for an opportunity to have fresh Maine lobster while I'm there."  Since my dear friends provided every meal I wasn't about to breathe a word of that idea.

So here at Legal Seafoods is an opportunity and I just think I'll splurge and go for it even though there is no room in the restaurant.  "To go please," I say to the cashier.  Ha!  It is $27.00 including tax so it's quite a bit less money than last time thank goodness.  After quite a long wait it is finally brought to me and I looked at it wondering how to eat it with a plastic fork and knife...the flimsiest on the planet I think.  It is a much smaller lobster this time but it is still fully intact and I realize I'm going to have to dispense with the plastic utensils and get my hands involved.  Oh my what a mess but oh so delicious.  I could acquire a taste for this I'll have you know.

Would you believe I didn't take a photo.  And furthermore I can't find a photo of steamed lobster in a to-go box on the Internet.  Hmmm.  I think I know why.  It really isn't a good idea.  Next time I would order a lobster roll which is something I attempted to make recently but it didn't turn out well.  I haven't ever seen it or had it but I have heard of it.  I'm still learning.

Legal Seafoods offered live lobsters in a box.  Briefly, I considered bringing a couple home so my husband could share in the experience, but it was possible I would be bumped off the flight between Minneapolis and Pasco and I didn't want to be dealing with live lobster if that happened.

Live lobster isn't available here.  It's okay though.  We have a frozen foods department and it will have to do for now.


5 comments:

  1. Oh! This is funny! I'm so glad it tasted good - makes all the inconvenience worth it! Hooray :) Picturing you sitting in those airport gate waiting chairs/benches eating a whole lobster with your fingers. Love it. Glad you got the chance. Definitely a different experience than the huge lobster on a platter in fancy restaurant, hm? Plus we've had an "economic downturn" since then, so maybe that contributes to lower price? Or maybe the lobster are more "in season" right now? HAHAHA don't I have lots of interesting ideas?!

    Love LW in SE WA

    ReplyDelete
  2. While you laugh, I'm feeling sorry for her trying to cope with the awkwardness! Ha! Glad you could see the funny side because this seems like a really bad dream and I'm still trying to solve the problem before I wake up to reality!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl, you are so in trouble! Legal seafood is one of our absolutely favorite places, and we ate at one on the night we picked you up. If only we had known…

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny! I was laughing at myself as this was happening. Also I was hoping none of the other people at my gate secretly took a video. Also, I don't regret for a minute not telling you because I was so thoroughly enjoying all the great food and experiences each moment of the trip. It was so memorable and delightful. Every bit. I will continue to share stories as I have time. Stand by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete