Thursday, June 22, 2017

Spanish Rice from Coaching Partner Kristen

Today I had a delightful coaching partner call with my associate, Kristen.

Our coaching session evolved into talking about the challenge of keeping everyone fed.

This is a quick and easy recipe she makes about once a week and her children and husband love it.

So I am hoping this will be an easy go-to recipe for our household too.

I am making it right now for tomorrow night's dinner to be served with coleslaw and refried beans if I need to stretch it for guests.

One pound ground beef, cooked with
One chopped onion,
2 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon chili powder

Top with

1 cup white rice, cooked (about 2 cups cooked)
1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
grated cheese (about 1.5 cups)

Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. Or if baking directly from the fridge, 350 degrees for 35 minutes.

First layer is the meat with onions, garlic and chili powder added.  
I used ground sausage instead. I also substituted chipotle chilies which was too spicy.


Second Layer is 2 cups of cooked rice.

Third layer is one 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes.

Fourth layer is about 1 1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese.

This is ready for tomorrow night's supper.  It's going in the fridge at this point.

Next day update:  I thought this tasted great.  The kiddos weren't too keen. 
I liked it even better a day later.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't think it was too bad when you served it to us. A little tomato-y for my taste. Guess I'm still one of the kids :D

    LW in SE WA

    ReplyDelete