Friday, May 4, 2018

Scalloped Potatoes in Le Creuset Au Gratin Cast Iron Pan

Today when I went to a local church rummage sale, I found a vintage Le Creuset enameled cast iron 3 quart (36 cm) au gratin pan.  It was just $3.00 and I was very happy to find such a treasure at such an affordable price.




I brought it home and cleaned it up (not much clean up needed) and decided to make scalloped potatoes for the very first time.

First I rubbed the pan with a garlic clove and then chopped it small and mixed it with two tablespoons of butter and rubbed that all over the bottom and sides of the pan.

2.5 lbs of red potatoes peeled and thin sliced (1/8 " thick) with a mandoline.  I even managed to cut myself twice.  Who knows where the hand guard part is?

Alternate in three layers.  Potato slices, butter, salt, pepper, grated cheddar cheese, heavy cream and dried French thyme.

I didn't measure anything.  Just layered three times.

Then I topped it with Panko bread crumbs.

Baked for 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes.  Then let stand for 10 minutes while I made a salad.  I still burned my mouth.  So I think maybe next time I will let it stand 15 to 20 minutes before eating.

I wanted to eat the whole thing but I didn't.  Even the kids liked it.  They thought they would not like it at first as they were sure they could see onions in there.  After assuring them there were no onions they ate it and wanted more.




No comments:

Post a Comment