Friday, October 25, 2019

Ripening Green Tomatoes

This year I wasn't going to plant tomatoes.

And then a friend gave me two cherry tomato plants.

This year our first frost came October 7th, which is about two weeks early.

And I brought in all the green tomatoes and put them on plates in front of the French doors.


Within 5 days many had ripened so I baked the ripe ones 
plus there were more than fit in the pan that day.  

The next photo shows the baked cherry tomatoes sprinkled with avocado oil and sea salt.  These were done at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.  Then we turned the oven off and left them in the oven with the door closed.  



Here they are some of the consolidated tomatoes.  Not shown: large round bowl was also full and didn't make it in the photo.


Today is October 25th and I just baked the last of the tomatoes except the few in this small dish:


  They ripened within 3 weeks.

In years past, I have gathered green heirloom tomatoes from frozen vines and laid them out to ripen.  We used them as they turned red and we were eating the last of them in January. 

Looks like the cherry tomatoes ripen much faster off the vine than the heirlooms.


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful photos - I can appreciate that for sure :)

    LW in SE WA

    ReplyDelete