Sunday, February 10, 2013

Brownies with Fresh Strawberries Inside

For Valentine's Day someone suggested baking brownies with fresh strawberries inside.  They said when you cut them open it looks like a heart inside the brownie.    You know I have this deep heart shaped tray from Demarle At Home so it seemed like a good idea to try this experiment. It worked nicely.  I liked them better after they had been in the fridge over night.  Here is the process:
This is a wonderful recipe from Taste Of Home given to me by my daughter.  We made it at her house two days ago without the strawberries inside. It is hard to beat.



 Once a spoonful of brownie mixture was in the bottom of the pan, I placed the fresh strawberries in.



     Then I covered them up with more brownie mixture.



After 21 minutes at 325 degrees this is what they looked like.



When the brownies were mostly cool I cut them open and took a photo.  The strawberries were not so firm and not so red. The next day, after spending the night in the fridge, they were better.  Cream cheese frosting would be a nice addition.

If you need a great brownie recipe, this one is from Taste of Home and I like it very much:


Taste of Home Fudge Brownies

1 cup butter
6 sq unsweetened chocolate
Melt chocolate squares in double boiler with butter.  Let cool for 10 minutes or more.

Cream together:
4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 tsp salt (I almost always use sea salt)
then add to chocolate mixture.

Add and stir in:
1 cup flour
2 cups nuts (I left this off because of using the strawberries this time.)  See comment by "Unknown".

Normally: 325 degrees  11 x 13 baking dish  for 45 min.

But  this time I used the Demarle At Home deep heart tray and it took 21  minutes.

I am not pretending this is healthful but it sure is yummy.

6 comments:

  1. When we made this on Friday, like was mentioned, not with strawberries, but we used chocolate chips in place of the chopped nuts, and I really like it that way. We are being careful about not over-eating them but still enjoying them immensely...except not Meri because she has not yet done the task she needs to do before she gets one :) If she takes too long I might need to make another batch for incentive!

    LW in SE WA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be interested to hear when Meri gets her brownie. I'll cheer and shout and celebrate. Oh yes, I forgot we added chocolate chips instead of nuts. That worked out well. When I took them to the get together that night Brenda asked if they were made with beans. She was hoping so because they were incredible. But no, I explained these were the Taste of Home Fudge Brownies.

      Delete
  2. Fun pictures. You're making me want to buy a new mixer, (borrowed a kitchen-aid to try it out and love it) but it's going to be a hand one again, I've decided, since I don't need to be baking. How about some pictures of that fun and fabulous kitchen? Show off how you bloodied your fingers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you mean the broken mirror back splash? There were a few finger cuts but not too bad because I wore gloves. I suppose a post on the before, during and after of the kitchen fix up might be interesting for some. Okay, I'll do it one of these days. I have a Bosch Mixer and enjoy it very much. It was a wedding gift from Mom and Dad. Someone told me the other day the Kitchen Aid mixers are not the quality they used to be. I don't have any more information than that. I like the colored ones but won't be buying one because of the Bosch.

      Delete
  3. Yes, I tried picking up pieces of broken mirror and found out about bloody fingers right away. I thought of you telling me about doing your backsplash and understood why immediately. I guess I thought you must have been better at it than me, and didn't realize you used gloves for most of the project. I think my Bosch wore out. I did make about six loaves of bread each week, plus the occasional pizza dough. The lever mechanism on the KitchenAid is fun to use, but not impressed with how it doesn't get the bottom of the bowl ingredients mixed in. I think you would have to watch for that, which is okay. Mainly I like the silver one. :) I think a cheap hand mixer will do just fine. I rarely make or eat bread anymore anyway. Cauliflower is just fine for my pizza crust and don't need a mixer for it. Yes, your kitchen, your ideas for decorating are inspirations. Look forward to seeing more of your fun and amazing ideas here. Creativity seems to pour from your brain and drip from the ends of your fingers. After I left home, I remember being really impressed with your fashion sense, creativity, and thought you must have been in my shadow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rather than being in your shadow you have always been quite wonderful with inspiration and encouragement. I am thankful for your influence which among other things promotes my creativity. A few weeks back for example after you convinced me cauliflower pizza crust is good I made it too. You were right and I like a it. My family isn't quite as enthused so it's one of those things I make for myself and others who are attempting to improve eating habits.

      Delete