Saturday, February 2, 2013

Gluten Free Chocolate Cake


A friend came over this week and we baked  together.  I wanted to use my favorite mini Savarin tray from Demarle At Home.  This flourless batter is difficult to remove from that tray so I would select a larger option in the future.

We started out thinking these would be brownies, but they are not the right texture.  Certainly it is the texture of cake so we renamed it.

The brownie experiments will have to wait for another day.

Mini savarin tray is no longer available for sale.  Some of my followers have this tray though so all is not lost.

 Chocolate Beanie Cake

7 ounces canned  black beans, drained
4 small eggs  (this time I doubled the recipe and used 7 medium eggs)
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
3 tablespoons coconut oil
1/4 cup honey (I have future plans to make it with chicory root sweetner)
1/4 teaspoon soda
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder




Place all ingredients in a food processor and mix until smooth. This is a runny mixture and pours well.

Please note that Demarle At Home molds and trays do not usually need to be greased or oiled.  However, this flourless recipe needs it on the small openings (not on larger ones).  Spray tray with cooking spray.  Pour batter into tray sections and bake at 325 F for 13 minutes for the mini savarin tray or mini heart trays.

Recommended: When we used the bouquet tray it took 22 minutes at 325 and came out without any problem even though it was not greased.

If the cakes will not release easily, place tray in freezer for a half hour or so before tip out.

Invert the cake bites onto a serving tray.

Top with:

Cream Cheese Frosting
8 oz packages cream cheese
1/4 cup honey
1/2 stick unsalted butter
a dash of sea salt
1/4 tsp vanilla extract

This cream cheese frosting recipe is a winner.   You will see me use this again.

Update:

It is Monday now and last night I decided to make this recipe again.  This time I doubled the recipe and instead of 8 small eggs I used 7 medium.  For variety I made it in the small heart shapes and the baked versions did not want to release.  Humph!   So the next batch into the oven went into the bouquet tray.


Just out of the oven before the frustrating tip out.  This heart tray is no longer available though some of my followers own it already.

Here they are.  The yummy frosting covered up the parts that were imperfect from sticking to the tray.

Now these came out perfectly.  They are a larger shape from the bouquet tray which I just found out on 2-6-13 is sold out.  Thankfully some of you already own this tray.
Cream cheese frosting as I told you I will be using again.  See above.

13 comments:

  1. What? How awesome! I am so excited to have this to read! Yay! Your photos and food look awesome! Good for you! Wish I was there to have a taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the inspiration ladies. You all have a hand in encouraging me. Today I visited with my friend and author Shanna Hatfield and it was the final straw of inspiration that tipped me over the edge into setting up my own blog.

    Bonda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! This is sooo cool! I am so excited to follow all your creative/tastey endevours!!! So, the icing worked with honey?! I can't wait to try this one!
    Cristy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh so fun---both the brownies and the blog! Can't wait to see all that you come up with! Congrats on the blog launch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woohoo! Congratulations and great job. The pictures are fantastic! Guess I should try these yummy-looking treats. Will love this blog :)

    LW in SE WA

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really glad you are taking us through this process step by step! Makes it easier for me. Clear to me now the steps I missed before. These look very good. I liked the standard brownie recipe better when I tried them, but now that I know these are made with black beans and are gluten free I am much more impressed! And you are using honey, too! A cooking blog is perfect for you! The bouquet tray is great (pretty, too) although who doesn't love heart shapes, anywhere anytime but especially on a red blog in February. You're a champ. I don't have the heart tray. Is it still available?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments and question. Yes the heart tray is still available and I have a deal for you so I'll call you about that. Yes I like the standard brownie recipe better too. Did you notice I changed this recipe title from brownie to cake because the texture was not brownie; it was cake. Of course I like regular chocolate cake better, but rarely have it because of the flour and sugar (acid) issues we are aware of.

      Now I am on a mission to find a gluten free brownie recipe that has a good texture and flavor. I saw one yesterday that has avocado in it. I think I'll try it and see.

      I figure if I am having challenges with certain recipes in the Demarle At Home products others will be too so we might as well have a place where we can be open about it and figure out solutions to the problems.

      Feel free to be a guest writer/photographer when you have nothing else to do :)

      With Valentine's day just around the corner, I have some more ideas to try out. So stay tuned.

      Delete
  7. One more thing...

    The shallow heart shape shown in a couple of these photos is good for cookies. They are easy to tip out. I often make brownies in this tray. Then I also put in a white filling such as cream cheese or ice cream and when all is said and done they make great sandwich cookies. The trouble with the ice cream filling is to remember to get them right back into the freezer. And even putting them back in the freezer to harden up again part way through taking them out of the tray.

    I like having everything the right shape.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This blog generated some interest in the Demarle At Home heart shapes. I called to place an order for heart shaped things and found they are sold out. They said they did not sell well so they are not offering them anymore. Of course I am disappointed about this and will be more careful about noting this on my blog when items are no longer available. Meanwhile I've ordered a few new shapes that are being offered and I'll be excited to show those once they arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I swear I was smelling these as I looked at the photos again today. Must stay away from dessert. Groan!

    ReplyDelete