Saturday, July 12, 2014

Healthy Waffles

Those of you who have followed my blog for a while know I regularly grind Wheat Montana Prairie Gold Whole Wheat Flour (non-GMO), as well as use local raw honey, local fresh eggs (friends and neighbors), and as much fresh produce from the garden as possible.  I prefer cooking from scratch so spend much time in the kitchen and garden.

Lately we have been experimenting with using raw milk from a local farm, Organic Valley Sour Cream,  White Mountain Organic Yogurt (whole milk probiotic), Organic Valley Cheese and Cabot Lactose Free Cheese.  We are enjoying the results.  YUM!

For years and years I have made waffles for breakfast.  I go through waffle irons.  When you have a husband who does physical work you have to feed him well.  This almost keeps him to lunch time.

Here is the recipe we use:

1 cup fresh ground Wheat Montana Prairie Gold flour
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 1/2 teaspoons Rumford Baking Powder (no aluminum)
1 scant cup raw milk
1 farm fresh egg
1 tablespoon raw local honey
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Put about 3/4 cup in the large waffle iron and cook.  Serve with real butter and maple syrup.  In this case I put them in the Demarle teddy bear mold and baked at 350 degrees for 13 minutes.

I was raised on raw milk plus dad and mom raised their own beef.  So I've always had a relatively healthy diet.  But there were many years in between you could not get raw milk unless you kept your own milk cow which we chose not to do.





No comments:

Post a Comment