Monday, July 28, 2014

Wine Muffins, No Dairy



House guests left a little wine in a bottle this weekend.  I tasted it and...nope...I still don't enjoy it.  I have known for years I like to cook with it though.  There is a scant 2/3 cup wine in the bottle.   Hmmm...what shall I do with it?



This morning was a late start and I need to take breakfast to my husband at work.  What would be fast and good to him, the one who enjoys and needs carbohydrates...complex ones?

Today I'm making up a new recipe starting with another recipe I've never tried.  I added, subtracted   and substituted almost every ingredient.  I'll tell you later how it turns out.

3 cups Prairie Gold fresh ground whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder, Rumford, non-aluminum
1/2 teaspoon sea salt, "Real"
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup raw, local honey
1 teaspoon real vanilla, clear (a recent gift from a friend who traveled to Cabo).
2 farm fresh eggs from my friend Ruth
2/3 cup red wine (scant) a blend (local of course, it is Walla Walla after all)
1/3 cup strong alkaline water
1/2 cup fresh rasberries, (use whatever fruit you have in small pieces)

Using the Demarle Petal Tray (no greasing), put a heaping teaspoon of batter in the bottom.  Tear the berries into small sizes and place on top.  Put another heaping teaspoon of batter on top of that.

Bake at 400 degrees for 12 minutes.



The next photo shows two turned over with my finger tips (EASY removal) so you can see the pattern.


So what do I think of this recipe?  It is so good even though it does not have any dairy. It would be better with dairy I think.  While I was making this recipe I was on the phone with a sister who suggested making it without any dairy.  I was planning to make it with raw milk and cream but decided to make substitutions.  She suggested coconut oil instead of butter.  I would have to make this again without wine to find out if I like having wine in it.  So I will do that another day.

I don't like muffins that are too sweet so I almost always cut down on sweetener.  Whenever I can I substitute unprocessed sweeteners.  It was just about right for me.  Others, like the children, would probably prefer another two tablespoons raw local honey.

Note a few days later:  Husband likes these and says I can repeat some time.

2 comments:

  1. Coconut MILK for replacing milk, actually. Really would like to taste test these! I don't know if butter is a problem with lactose sensitivity. Jealous of this cookbook, too AND the picture of the green pitcher and gorgeous wine label.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH! We did talk about coconut milk as I was going along, but milk never came up in this recipe, but cooking oil did. I scrounged around until I found the coconut oil. I guess this is what happens when being an alchemist while talking on the phone. I don't have coconut milk or water in the house but will add it to my grocery list.

    The green light bulb in the lamp in this arrangement helped this photo. The cookbook is a loaner from Kjerstin. She will get it back someday, but currently it looks good in my shades of green arrangement. I've made a few recipes in it but need to get going and do many more. I like to write in cookbooks but I don't want to write in hers so I guess that's why I don't reach for it like I should.

    ReplyDelete